Today I am sharing my all time favourite soup recipe: sweet potato and chorizo. At university I essentially lived off of sweet potatoes (zap in the microwave for 10 minutes and voila!) and chorizo has been a long time family favourite, making this recipe an obvious choice for cold afternoons. This soup is super easy to make and full of flavour: sweet, smokey and spicy, delicious! I promise I am not being overly enthusiastic, I really do love this soup and would recommend it hugely!
Serves four, ready in 30-40 minutes.
- 100g Chorizo, diced finely
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
- 4 small/medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- Optional: chilli powder, add this if the chorizo isn’t particularly spicy and you want more heat!
- Start by heating a very small amount of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add in the chorizo and cook off for 5 minutes, letting all of the red oil out. Remove a spoonful of the chorizo and set aside.
- Add the onion into the chorizo pan and fry off for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook off again for a minute.
- Add the sweet potato chunks and the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce the heat, allowing it to simmer for 20 minutes until the sweet potato is cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and blend until smooth. Add more stock if too thick. Season to taste and serve with the leftover chorizo.